Skip to main content

April 9, 2017 Lovenote!

Breathe in Gratitude, Breathe out Love!
Good Morning Yogis!  Welcome to Lovenote April 9,  2017!
Do you think of yourself as a creative artistic sort?  I have been dabbling in that discussion with myself lately.  It is easy for me to be critical of my artistic skills and talents(or lack thereof!).  In the past, I have told myself that can’t paint or I am not an artistic type.  When I try to draw with a pen or pencil even my stick people look a little weird!  The truth of the matter is, I have never really given it a fair shot.  Why would I suddenly be artistic if I never spend time doing artistic things?!  
It is just like when people say to me, “Jean, I can’t do yoga!  I can’t even touch my toes!”  I hear that a lot.  The thought that pops into my mind when people say that is, “Well, when was the last time you reached down and tried to touch your toes?”  I also wonder, “Why do you think touching your toes is a skill you must have to practice yoga?” :)
There is a term in yoga that we call Beginner’s Mind.  It is when you have openness, eagerness and willingness when starting to try anything.  It is when you are not sure of what to do yet you are fearless and available to the moment.  
I believe this is a great place to start when you are wanting to try something new.  Something like yoga.  Something like art.  Something new to you that you have not done before.

File_000.jpeg
So when my friend, Leslie,  asked me if I wanted to attend a painting class that was a benefit for Relay for Life, I paused for a moment.  I had that thought that I wasn’t an artist.  I worried that whatever I painted would not be good.  Then I reframed the thought by put on my Beginner’s Mind and said “Sure, I will go!”   Here is the painting that I did of an owl.  Sure, it is not a masterpiece.  However it is my art!  I am an artist in my own way.  It is what I was able to do while letting my creative juices flow.  And best of all it was fun!!
What might you be willing to use your Beginner’s mind with this week?

Legs Up Pose with variation - Viparita Karani
viparitakarani.jpg
When I saw these interesting gray twigs coming up out of the ground in this field, I instantly wanted to align with them!  I found a spot to lay down next to them and extend one leg up and my arms reached up as well.  You will find many yoga poses that we do are in alignment with nature.  It is for good reason too!  In this pose, laying on the ground your back, shoulders and head straightened out. Lifting your arm and leg skyward feels fun too!   Give this pose a try on the floor switching sides after holding on each side for about 10 breaths each.
Benefits of legs up poses are:
  • Increases circulation to the abdominal organs
  • Alleviates menstrual cramps
  • Relieves swollen ankles and varicose veins
  • Improves digestion
  • Restores tired feet or legs
  • Stretches the back of the neck, front torso, and back of the legs
  • Relieves mild backache
  • Calms anxiety
  • Reverses the effect of gravity on the body
     
Quote of the week -
"Nourish yourself in a way that helps you blossom in the direction you want to go. You are worth the effort.” —Deborah Day
 
What’s classes does Jean have coming up?
I am putting together a springtime OUTDOOR Mindfulness Walking Series!  It is still muddy and cool here in Vermont so I will wait until May to get things organized.  Stay tuned here for more information.
IMG_4302_picmonkeyed.JPG
I love this picture of my son, Ben, mindfully walking
Please email me  if you have questions or comments.  I love hearing from you.

My wish for you today is health in your body, peace in your mind and love in your heart,
Jean


SIGN UP FOR MY WEEKLY LOVENOTE HERE
If you know anyone who may enjoy these weekly notes, please share with them.