If you like to practice yoga then you probably have your own yoga mat and may be wondering what the best way to wash your mat is. Keeping your mat clean will prevent bacterial growth and make your mat last longer. I have tried various ways to wash my mat and have found the following to be the best way
This method will give your mat a thorough cleaning.
- Run a few inches of cool or slightly warm water into a bathtub and add a few drops of mild, non-oily detergent. Make sure you don’t add too much soap or it will be difficult to rinse away completely.
- Submerge the yoga mat in the water. Let it soak for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Gently rub down both sides of the mat, top to bottom, using the soft side of a sponge, or washcloth.
- Rinse the yoga mat out very thoroughly in clean water, making sure you get rid of any soap residue. I turn on the shower in the tub and rinse it under the spray.
- To dry your yoga mat, unroll and hang to air dry. Make sure you let it dry out completely before storing to prevent mold. I usually do this on a sunny day so I can hang it outside on a clothesline or over a chair.
If you have recently purchased a yoga mat you may find it slippery. It is best to wash it before you use it to help prevent slipping during yoga. It will also help to remove any rubber odor and allow better grip on the mat.